North Korea has opened its doors to a group of international travelers for the 1st time in year
Source: Associated Press
North Korea has opened its doors to a group of international travelers for the 1st time in year
HYUNG-JIN KIM
Wed, February 26, 2025 at 5:28 AM EST·3 min read
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) A small group of foreign tourists has visited North Korea in the past week, making them the first international travelers to enter the country in five years except for a group of Russian tourists who went to the North last year.
The latest trip indicates North Korea may be gearing up for a full resumption of its international tourism to bring in much-needed foreign currency to revive its struggling economy, experts say.
The Beijing-based travel company Koryo Tours said it arranged a five-day trip from Feb. 20 to Feb. 24 for 13 international tourists to the northeastern North Korean border city of Rason, where the countrys special economic zone is located.
Koryo Tours General Manager Simon Cockerell said the travelers from the U.K., Canada, Greece, New Zealand, France, Germany, Austria, Australia and Italy crossed by land from China. He said that in Rason, they visited factories, shops, schools and the statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il, the late grandfather and father of current leader Kim Jong Un.
-snip-
Read more: https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-opened-doors-group-102817556.html