Hamas hands over final living hostages to be released under first phase of Gaza ceasefire
Hamas released six hostages from Gaza on Saturday, handing over in two public ceremonies and one private transfer the final living captives in this phase whom the warring sides agreed would be freed when a ceasefire began last month. Israel was due to release 620 Palestinian detainees in return, but has delayed the exchange citing further security reviews.
A decision will be made regarding the continuation of the process after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convenes a security consultation on Saturday evening, an Israeli official told CNN. Hamas media office has accused Israel of violating the truce with the delay, casting some uncertainty over the precarious ceasefire deal.
The release of the six hostages earlier on Saturday came just hours after Hamas returned the remains of Shiri Bibas the Israeli mother whose young family became a symbol for the plight of hostages being held in Gaza. Hamas delivered a body on Thursday that they said at first was Bibas. But forensic testing by Israeli authorities confirmed that it was not hers, triggering a wave of outrage and condemnation in Israel.
The first two hostages to be released on Saturday, Tal Shoham, 40, and Avera Mengistu, 38, were turned over to Red Cross officials in the southern Gaza city of Rafah. Shoham was kidnapped from kibbutz Beeri, along with his two children, wife, and mother-in-law, all of whom were released in November 2023. Mengistu, an Israeli from Ashkelon, crossed into Gaza in 2014.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hamas-releasing-final-living-hostages-091450936.html