The US State Department says humanitarian assistance can continue. Foreign aid workers say that's not happening
Source: CNN
The US State Department says humanitarian assistance can continue. Foreign aid workers say thats not happening
By Lauren Kent, CNN
5 minute read
Published 2:19 PM EST, Sat February 8, 2025
(CNN) US-funded aid work around the world has been largely brought to a standstill, multiple sources tell CNN, despite Secretary of State Marco Rubios claims that the United States continues to provide lifesaving humanitarian aid.
As the Trumps administrations 90-day freeze on nearly all US foreign aid continues into a third week, thousands of USAID personnel were expected to be placed on administrative leave or fired, with plans to only retain several hundred personnel deemed essential, effectively gutting the agency. However, a federal judge Friday temporarily blocked the Trump administrations plans to put 2,200 direct hire USAID employees on leave and halted the accelerated removal of staffers from countries around the world.
The goal of our endeavor has always been to identify programs that work and continue them and to identify programs that are not aligned with our national interest and identify those and address them, Rubio said Thursday during a visit to the Dominican Republic.
Rubio, now the acting administrator of USAID, reiterated earlier this week that he had issued a blanket waiver for lifesaving programs.
-snip-
Read more: https://edition.cnn.com/2025/02/08/world/usaid-humanitarian-assistance-aid-freeze-intl-latam/index.html